Does marketing and technical writing mix?

Subject: Does marketing and technical writing mix?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 20:18:52 -0500

Looking at the subject of this thread, I can't help thinking that the
question is somewhat besides the point.

That is, at many companies, especially small ones, the question is not
whether marcom and tech-writing mix, but _how_ to mix them.
Increasingly, employers are asking the same people to do both.

As a result, many writers aren't asking whether the two mix, but what
mix they're comfortable with. And that, of course, raises some fairly
obvious ethical issues.

My personal position is that, while a little marcom is a welcome change,
it's not my main interest. However, if I find a product unobjectionable
enough to write manuals for it, it is also something I can promote, so
long as I don't fall into exaggerations or lies.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Then fareweel ye banks o' Sicily,
Fare ye weel ye valley an' shaw,
There's nae Jock will mourn the kyles o' ye,
Puir bluidie swaddies are weary."
- Hamish Henderson,
"The 51st Division's Farewell to Sicily"