Re: Books about writing policies?

Subject: Re: Books about writing policies?
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:05:10 +1100

Susan Stott wrote:

> Does anyone know of any good books about writing policy?
>
> About all I've been able to dig up is a Gartner group research note on
> setting IT policy.
>
> I need information about how policies are different from guidelines,
> standards and governances. A book with examples and tips for writing
> effective policies would be great.

There's a bit of stuff about, but not enough, and there's a great deal
of inconsistency -- so much so that I was moved to develop a course
"Writing Effective Policies and Procedures" which has had some success.
However, unless your employer wants to shell out for big travel bucks,
that doesn't help you.

You could hunt up a book / disk package called "IT Security Policies
Made Easy" (ISPME) -- I can't remember the author's name, but I did
encounter it at a client site some time back. It's specifically about IT
security, as the title suggests, but it's a good starting point becuase
it casts a very wide net.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia