Re: Booming Business

Subject: Re: Booming Business
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:29:40 -0800

Hey Melonie--

Speaking from Seattle (which is almost certainly more like Austin than,
say, Wichita, when it comes to high-tech industry), high-tech writers
are in high demand, although nowhere near programmers.

I've had to talk to some recruiters recently--looking for
programmers--and when I mentioned I was a tech writer, all of them
mentioned they had plenty of assignments if I was looking. One guy told
me they were desperately looking for 30 experienced writers for a
contract at Boeing.

I have also heard about employers beating on college doors recently, but
I knew several people who graduated in Dec 1996 or Jun 1997, with
varying levels of experience, and none of them had their pick of plums.
Most people wanted at least a year's experience (of course they can get
this while in school). This seems to be the same sitation for tech
writers--there isn't really a line of job offers for people with *no
experience*.

We've talked on this list in the past about future projections. It
looks like tech writing is a good profession for the future, partly
because there is so much high-tech work, partly because competition is
making communication and documentation more valuable.

From what I hear, there are a number of "hot spots" for high tech work,
spread all over the country. Seattle, San Francisco (Silicon Valley),
Austin, Dallas, Denver, New York, Washington DC, North Carolina (around
Research Triangle Park), Portland, Atlanta. I think more will evolve
every year--I recently read an article about employers having to take
the work to the employees--high tech people have such a hold on the
market, big companies are having to open new offices near where the
workers are, rather than trying to entice people to their existing
sites.
Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS)