Re: Magical Thinking and Grimoires

Subject: Re: Magical Thinking and Grimoires
From: SLSTAGGS <slstaggs -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:12:44 -0500

<<I notice that even some advanced users frequently resort to
what I call "magical thinking." That is, they know that typing a certain
command with certain parameters will get certain results, but they don't
understand the details of what thye're doing.>>

Well, I know that when I put my car key in the ignition and turn it, the car
starts. I don't know why it starts, really. I just know it does. If something
goes wrong with it, I cannot diagnose and correct the problem. But I know
people who can.

I choose not to learn how a car works. Would it be better for me if I did? It's
a cost-benefit analysis. How much money would I save by repairing my own car
vs. the opportunity costs of the time spent learning the context of cars. Am I
engaging in "magical thinking" or am I just effectively managing information?

In terms of documentation content, I would say it's entirely a scope issue. But
it's an interesting question...

Susan