Professional organizations, courses, and tools

Subject: Professional organizations, courses, and tools
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:14:32 -0700

I'm not a member of STC, but I'm considering it. It's simply a matter
of opportunity costs for me--I can only spend so much money, is that
the BEST choice?

The nearest chapter is Denver and as I understand it, the meetings
usually start at 5. Since I live 70 miles away, I'd also have to
rearrange my work schedule or use vacation time to attend meetings.
So, I may be paying a lot just for a magazine. Everytime I have the
money for the membership, there's a book, class, or tool that seems
like a better investment. But, is it?

Bottom line: Most people cannot afford to invest in everything that
might help their career development. So, what are the criteria you
use to choose among professional organizations, courses, tools, etc.?
How do you decide what will give you the best return on investment?
Do you choose things that interest you personally over those that
have a bigger return (in terms of career) or vice versa? How do you
gather information to make your decisions?

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov