Re: Proud STC Member

Subject: Re: Proud STC Member
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:09:21 GMT

I'm with Tim and Mary. I get a lot of good out of STC, especially when
I was a "lone writer" and then as a contractor. I don't read the
journals when they come in the door, but I keep them around for
research when a client asks me something I don't know about yet.

Yes, STC has its faults. Except at the national headquarters, it's
largely a volunteer organization, so your chapter is only as good as
the volunteers it gets. If you don't like the speakers the chapter
presents, volunteer to scout out speakers. If your newsletter is
embarassing, research and write an article on a topic that interests
you.

Re the "all $110 can't go toward the journal" -- you're right, it
doesn't. Some of it comes back to your chapter so the local chapter
can subsidize the cost of meetings, publication contests, local and
regional conferences, and local publications. It also goes toward
grants for studies, such as studies on the cost-effectiveness of
documents.

A card-carrying member <G>,

Barb Philbrick

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:06:09 -0500, you wrote:

> Like Tim said...
> STC was of tremendous help to me when I made the shift ten years
>ago from business analyst to tech writer...one reason I'm active now is
>out of a sense of "giving something back."
> Now I do the programs for our chapter, which is sometimes a
>nuisance but gives me a chance to (1) bring in speakers on topics *I'm*
>interested in <G> and (2) do my bit to upgrade tech writers' skill sets
>and knowledge of what a tech comm should be.
>
> Mary
>
>Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
>East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)
>durl -at- buffnet -dot- net
>
>On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Tim Altom wrote:
>
>> snip...
>> When I entered this profession full-time years ago, my path was made much
>> smoother with the help and encouragement of STC members. I've never known a
>> more helpful bunch of people....
> ...>
>>
>> Tim Altom
>> Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.