Tech writer qualifications

Subject: Tech writer qualifications
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:09:58 -0800

>My department manager would like to believe that a good, experienced
>tech writer can look at a pile of components and intuitively know how to
>assemble and operate a given product, then write the appropriate
>instructions.

Then that's the sort of tech writer your department manager should hire.

In successful companies, jobs are roles that people create, not slots that
people fit into. The fact that the job has the name "tech writer" doesn't
mean the qualifications and duties are the same as for every other job
called "tech writer." ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro

(C) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.