Re: HTML index

Subject: Re: HTML index
From: William Meisheid <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:43:30 -0500

Ruth Simpson wrote:

>If each index entry pointed to only one page, then we could
make the
index entry into a jump. But since most index entries point
to more than
one page, we have to make the page numbers into jumps. It is
my firm
belief that online help should not have page numbers.

You are correct in noting that there is a significant
problem in coming to terms with locators in online indexes
and that page numbers are not a good approach, since they
are effectively irrelevant online. That is why WinHelp and
the new HTML Help list page titles as the locator link
references for index entries. This whole area of indexing
online is not being effectively addressed by the web powers
that be and it is creating quite a problem and lots of
custom approaches.

William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
Certified RoboHELP Training http://www.sageline.com
Sageline Publishing 410.465.1548 Fax: 410.465.1812
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum - Sysop for: Style/Concepts/Etc
E-mail: 70713 -dot- 2225 -at- compuserve -dot- com or wgm -at- sageline -dot- com