User Interface Standards

Subject: User Interface Standards
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:07:03 +0800

Bill -

here are some URLs I've collected over the months. I think I have some
more at home -- will get back to you.

1) Java UI Style Guide (behaviour) and UI Visual Design Style Guide
http://java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement/spec.htm .
"These are huge, wonderful . . . the true equivalents of Motif/
Windows/etc style guides."

2) IBM has published guidelines for creating 3D and real world style
user interfaces:
www.ibm.com/IBM/HCI/guidelines/guidelines.html

3) http://www.javasoft.com/products/hotjavaviews/hjv.white.html
discusses guidelines for designing user interfaces for NCs (Network
Computers. The white paper notes that many of the characteristics of
classical GUIs are being abandoned (like the desktop metaphor, file
systems, menus).

4) Intranet/Internet UI Guidelines:
http://www.npl.co.uk/npl/cise/us/web.html

5) Jakon Nielsen is always worth reading:
http://www.sun.com/columns/alertbox.html

6) I hear good things about Susan Fowler's brand-spanking-new
"GUI Design Handbook" McGraw-Hill: New York, NY, 1998. Someone whose
opinion I respect says it's:

". . . a superb compendium of design information about the objects
used to design GUIs. This handbook contains an alphabetical list of
GUI components (check box, combo box, command line, menubar, ).
For each component there are four sections:
(1) when to use the component,
(2) what design guidelines apply to the component,
(3) how to determine "micro-usability" of the component, and
(4) what other components may be used for a particular function.
There are two good appendices on how to design a good GUI and how
to conduct some basic usability tests. This book is useful for
anyone who does detailed GUI design or evaluation."

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield Proud non-eater of the KFC
Functional Software Pty Ltd
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au