STC Job listings -Reply

Subject: STC Job listings -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- EMAIL -dot- EXIDE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:15:20 -0500

>STC is not a union -- it's a 501(c)(3)
educational, scientific, and charitable organization. Its goals are
advance technical communication, not to benefit the organization or
its
members. ...RM

Richard, and anyone else who may understand this,

Since STC is a 501(c)(3) organization that cannot publish job
listings for the exclusive use of its members, how come things like
STC Conference Proceedings are so expensive? And why do I get the
impression that Intercom articles, Journal of TC articles, and
chapter newsletter articles cannot be copied or otherwise passed
around? Why can't the STC put these things up on the Internet where
people who are interested can download them and benefit from them?
And the STC SIGs and their newsletters and email discussion groups?
Can they be legitimately made exclusive?

I like what they are doing in Santa Barbara, where the STC Chapter
recently hosted the Region 8 conference. They've got a web site,
http://www.stc.org/region8/snb/reg8conf/
where you can download many of the conference papers and send for the
CD with the proceedings (for a nominal fee of 10 bucks -- nothing like
the outrageous fee that STC demands for its conference proceedings).
I'd like to see the STC do this with its annual conference.

Is Bruce Byfield right when he says: In fact, from my experience, it
appears that the STC at all levels is more interested in preserving
its own well-being than in helping its members.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- email -dot- exide -dot- com