Buying a new monitor

Subject: Buying a new monitor
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:12:27 -0600

Barb Ostapina finally gets <<to buy a full-page monitor!!!
Does anybody have a recommendation about what to buy?>>

A few general pointers: Go for a 19-inch monitor rather
than 17 inch if budget permits because you'll be able to
get more of a page on the screen simultaneously without
having to squint or shelling out the premium for a 21-inch
monitor. Don't settle for anything less than a 75 Hz
refresh rate. If you're primarily writing, emphasize a
really crisp display over one with marvelous color; in
fact, I originally went for a greyscale monitor because the
crispness of the text was better than anything possible
with color. I've got a big color monitor now, and it's
nice, but I prefer the old one. If at all possible, buy
something you can see, not something you've read about;
monitors are very subjective things.

Check out PC Magazine and its competitors to find a recent
review of monitors so you'll know what you're looking for,
but don't rely exclusively on their recommendations:
"editor's choice" often doesn't mean "best for me". (Not
being cynical, just noting that editorial criteria may not
match yours.)