Re: Should I buy PageMaker?

Subject: Re: Should I buy PageMaker?
From: David Manney <dmanney -at- BABSON-BROS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:35:24 -0600

Lisa

First and foremost, the more applications you are familiar with, the
better. The debate as to what is the best long-document program is as hot
as most political arguments.

FWIW, currently I'm both a QuarkXPress and FrameMaker user. Supposedly,
Adobe will continue reformatting Frame so one can use it's "seamless"
integration from one Adobe product to another. Keep that in mind in making
your decision. If you become familiar with the layout of PageMaker, that
will go a little ways in learning Frame. However, the more experience you
have with Frame the better. I've worked with PageMaker in the past and
found it to be effective, but Frame and Quark (version 4.0) has better
tools for long documentation.

There's a pretty good article by Kate Binder that gives a decent overview
of PageMaker and QuarkXPress, with smatterings of other programs. It's at:
http://www.dtpjournal.com/current/9801F2.shtml

Good Luck,
Dave Manney
Technical Writer