Usability

Subject: Usability
From: David Orr <whitears -at- ORRNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:45:56 -0600

>I'm looking at combining some very technical material with a user
guide.
>Both are fairly small (less than 100 pages). Previously we used two
>separate documents, but I'm considering integrating the material. I
want
>to do it in a way that neither intimidates less technical users nor
>"turns off" the techies. Has anyone else done this successfully? If so,

>how?

A couple of ideas:

1. Layer the information. In a printed or online document, layering can
easily be done with tables or just plain columns. The first column of
procedures has quick steps with just the bare information for performing
the task. The second, and possibly third, columns have additional, more
technical information. This approach has the advantage of always putting
the user stuff to the left, which is the natural place for users to
look.

2. Put extremely basic stuff in a quick-start guide that is less than 50
pages. Layer the regular full-length user or reference manual.

David Orr
Orr & Associates/Usability Management
whitears -at- orrnet -dot- com