Re: Writing samples: what to look for

Subject: Re: Writing samples: what to look for
From: Elizabeth Vollbach <vollbach -at- PACBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:14:09 -0800

On 21 Jan 1998 10:55:42 -0600, Barry House <bhouse -at- creative-house -dot- com> wrote:

>This is fascinating, especially since I've NEVER put together a true
>portfolio--meaning a big black book with writing samples artfully arranged
>in a pretty package. I've usually grabbed 3-5 pieces that relate to the
>work being discussed and thrown them in a file folder. During the interview
>I talk the person through each piece--who the audience was, whether I
>worked alone or on a team, etc.
>
>How many of you TWs who interview really expect a portfolio? Why? If I've
>written a 150-page how-to booklet, how do I fit that into a portfolio? Can
>the strength of the writing overcome the lack of proper presentation?

Every time this topic is discussed I feel bad, like I do it wrong. Yet I
continue to do it the way I do it, the way you do. I bring copies of
documents that are applicable to the job I'm interviewing for. Nothing
fancy. Frankly, the reason I do it this way is because I just can't carry a
portfolio showing samples of all the different types of documents I've
written/edited. It would simply be too heavy, and I'd probably fall on my
face as I came through the door.

I do what's practical for me, and in 14 years an interviewer hasn't even
hinted dissatisfaction. From what I've seen, interviewers have been more
concerned with my record of experience and my references.