Re: Code documentation requirements?

Subject: Re: Code documentation requirements?
From: COehrlein <COehrlein -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 01:15:53 EST

I agree that documenting C, C++, and VB code might be difficult for someone
just learning VB. I've spent days trying to unravel a few hundred lines of C
code. It wasn't that the code was in violation of coding standards, but it
wasn't well documented and the developer had an unusual way of thinking about
things. At the time I wasn't too distant from my degree in Computer Science
and several courses that used C intensively.

If you want to try, ask for some sample code, preferably some in each
language. You don't necessarily want the most complex part, but not the
easiest either. Measure the amount of time it takes you to figure out the code
and then estimate the amount of time you think it would take you to document
it. If it then fits within the time you think you have available for your
current job and you enjoy the variety, then go for it!

Jo Oehrlein