Writing samples

Subject: Writing samples
From: Cody Ford <codyford -at- BRIDGE-WAY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:31:38 -0800

As a Technical Communicator who constantly solicits telecommuting
assignments writing samples have become a powerful tool for me.

There are many paradigms to shift when trying to convince a client a
thousand miles away that I can perform the task at hand exclusively
through telecommuting. A sample "packet" or small portfolio is one of
them. I will snail mail the entire packet or fax a small group of
samples specific to the task needed.

It seems that most of the face to face interviews I've been on are
perfectly comfortable with just a good resume. I would think that
samples of your work would only make one's chances better.

There are times when some of my most proud work is often not used in my
protfolio simply because of client confidentiality. But that's the way
it goes.

All in all I think a couple of hours spent creating a portfolio can be
the catalyst needed to excite a potential client.