STC preferential treatment for members?

Subject: STC preferential treatment for members?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:41:58 -0600

Bill Sullivan wondered <<how come things like STC
Conference Proceedings are so expensive?>>

Because they're expensive to produce, even given that
they're assembled by unpaid volunteers, and because the
profits (if any) go to the chapter or STC to subsidize
future conferences, the journal, research grants, office
expenses, etc. I don't recall there being a vast
differential in price for nonmembers, but isn't it
legitimate to provide equal benefits to nonmembers but
at a higher cost than for members, who have paid the
price of admission?

<<And why do I get the impression that Intercom articles,
Journal of TC articles, and chapter newsletter articles
cannot be copied or otherwise passed around?>>

Because you understand copyright law? <gdrlh> Seriously,
though, the same rules apply to any publication: you can't
photocopy and distribute it in whole or in part without
permission. (The only good exception under the new laws is
a single copy for _personal_ use; that way, I don't have to
eviscerate my copy of PC Magazine (for instance) to cut out
articles I want to keep on file, nor do I have to rent a
library to keep the back issues after I've already paid for
the original issue. Everybody makes illegal copies anyway,
but that doesn't make it right.

<<Why can't the STC put these things up on the Internet
where people who are interested can download them and
benefit from them?>>

In fact, they _do_ do this for much of their material.
Check out www.stc-va.org and you can probably find the main
journals at any really good library (e.g., at universities
that offer tech. comm. programs). Moreover, you can always
get reprints or file copies from the original authors; I've
never met an author who wasn't delighted to send a free
copy of his latest publication.

<<And the STC SIGs and their newsletters and email
discussion groups? Can they be legitimately made
exclusive?>>

I can't speak for U.S. law (I'm a Canuck), but if it works
for the National Geographic Society, why wouldn't it work
for STC? If you want to receive the benefit, you should pay
something for it: there ain't no free lunch.

<<Is Bruce Byfield right when he says: In fact, from my
experience, it appears that the STC at all levels is more
interested in preserving its own well-being than in helping
its members.>>

Well, since it's hard to help your members if you aren't
still in business, there's a certain element of
practicality to this approach, don't you think? There are
unquestionable politicians in STC, and they may even
outnumber the "missionaries", and that's always a problem,
but I think the real issue here is one of perception: STC
is a professional society, not a formal lobby group, not a
licensing organisation, and not a union, and thus has an
entirely different mandate. Whether you agree with that
mandate is another issue.