Getting into contracting

Subject: Getting into contracting
From: Joseph Gregg <jgreg040 -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:13:26 +0000

I'd encourage anyone who wants to break into contracting to do so. If
you don't like it, you can always go back to full-time work. No harm; no
foul.

To be a contractor, you need project management skills. I don't know
about my fellow contractors out there, but on most of my assignments,
I've been the sole writer. I had to manage the documentation project
from start to finish.

You also need a quick learning ability. While an employer may give a
full-timer three months to get up to speed, they may give a contractor
three days.

You also need experience, usually three years. Though it seems that
experience is taking a back seat to skills, meaning that a less
experienced, more skilled writer will probably have an easier time
contracting than a more experienced, less skilled writer.

You should try to branch out into as many areas as possible. In addition
to the usual word processing and desktop publishing skills, you can
learn online help, web page design, interface design, software testing,
programming, training, and marketing writing, to name a few (well,
actually, several). The more you know, the more contracts you can get
and the more money you can make.

Most contractors learn their skills on the job (that's the cheapest
way). You can also take a seminar or semester-long course, or simply buy
a book on the subject.

Finally, you need to be able to handle money. I know some contractors
who act like members of Congress. The more money they get, the more they
spend. I recommend maintaining your current spending level and banking
the rest. You need the money for the times you won't be working. And
those times can last a few days or a few months. Granted, with today's
economy there are more contract jobs than there are contractors; but the
good times won't last forever. Just seven years ago, you couldn't buy a
high-tech job in Massachusetts. You'd be walking into Wang while a sea
of pink would be walking out.
--
Resources for writers.
http://www.worldprofit.com/sites/gregg/writeric.htm