Re: Writing samples

Subject: Re: Writing samples
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:14:46 -0500

Jim...

Cody Ford wrote:
>>All in all I think a couple of hours spent creating a portfolio can be
> the catalyst needed to excite a potential client.<<
>
>When I seek writers to fill positions in my department, I always ask for
>resumes and three brief samples. Many applicants omit the samples (tip:
>if you're asked for samples, *send them*). Of those who do send
>samples, most just photocopy a few pages from a few different (seemingly
>random) efforts. A rare few take the time to do what I consider to be
>The Right Thing:

I appreciate that you have special preferences and they work for you. However, in most cases, they aren't practical unless the position you are offering is almost "too good to be true."

For example...I don't send samples with a resume for four reasons.

1) I never get them back and unfortunately, I often don't have an unlimited supply of material, let alone being comfortable with where they will end up.
2) If the person soliciting the position cannot tell enough about the applicant from the resume and phone conversation to know if the person is worth further investigation, then "in most cases", the person doesn't really know what they are looking for or how to do this part of the process.
3) I need to hold back enough information to justify meeting face to face to sell myself. Chances are, if I send a resume and samples, the decision will be made without having a chance to "close the sale"
4) I haven't had the chance to qualify you and the position to know if I WANT to be considered. Interviewing is a two sided process and just because the job IS available doesn't mean it is worth taking.

I also don't send references until I know that I want the position as much as you want me for the position.

>>>* Choose samples that show the depth and breadth of their work. For
example, a candidate could send excerpts from a reference manual, a
tutorial, and an online Help system. (If a candidate knows anything
about the kind of writing we do, s/he would be very smart to include at
least one sample that matches as closely as possible.)<<<<

As a tech writer, I have the ability to do things I never done before (huh?) For instance..I may not have ever written user manuals for UNIX programmers. Therefore, I may not have that type of sample and you are going to discount (maybe not eliminate) me because of it. However, if you have dealt with good writers, you know that the reason they are good is because they know enough about the process of tech writing to get up to speed in a foreign environment. That will not come through because of the lack of sample.

I understand that your process works for you and you should stick with it. However, my process works for me and is less work for me.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.