Re: Font Peeves

Subject: Re: Font Peeves
From: "Martin, Chuck" <chuckm -at- EVOLVESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:56:54 -0800

On Friday, January 23, 1998 12:05 PM, Barb Ostapina
[SMTP:Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM] wrote:
> Chuck Martin said,
> "...I try to avoid some of the older styles, such as Bookman and
Century
> Schoolbook..."
>
> Why is that?

While it's easy to say "personal preference," which isn't altogether
inaccurate, part of it is that the fonts evoke a past era. I like my
documents to look more "modern"--without being *too* sleek. The "Wired"
look goes too far for documentation.

Some of the newer body fonts seem to have a "cleaner" look; they're
designed for high-resolution, high-quality printing. Some of them are
even designed to look good both in print and online.

One of my personal peccadilloes: I loathe narrow fonts. Times is fairly
narrow. (I'm not talking about condensed fonts). Among other things, I
personally find narrowly designed typefaces difficult to read.

--
"You don't look American."
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere."

- Doonesbury
Chuck Martin, Technical Writer
Evolve Software | Personal
chuckm -at- evolvesoftware -dot- com | writer -at- best -dot- com
www.evolvesoftware.com | www.writeforyou.com