Re: staff consultants

Subject: Re: staff consultants
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:54:57 -0600

Emily Chung wrote:
>I was wondering if anybody out there has had any experience as a "staff"
>consultant. I have a possibility of taking a position with a consulting
>company (i'll call it XYZ) that has about 55 tech. writing staff
>consultants that work for XYZ (receiving XYZ benefits, salary, on-site
>training etc.) but work on various projects for all kinds of different
>companies. XYZ gives the opportunity of working on or off-site,
>depending on the requirements of the project, and provides the equipment
>and software necessary for any particular project. My main questions are
>-- 1.) Is this a good step for someone who has no experience consulting
>but wants to ultimately go completely freelance at some point?

Emily,

I did this kind of thing once before and would do it again in the right
circumstances. It can be a good stepping-stone to becoming a freelancer,
although it can hinder the start of your freelance marketing. Most
consulting companies require you to sign an employment agreement that
includes a non-compete clause. This clause can bar you from competing with
your employer in a specific industry (say the client you're assigned to
makes vending machines--you can't try for other vending machine makers as
your clients) for up to three years. Most agreements also include a clause
barring you from soliciting the client for work; interestingly enough, the
client is often free to solicit YOU to become an employee.

Working a few six-month assignments as a "staff consultant" can sure help
you decide if you want to be a freelancer.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax