Contextual Inquiry & Questionnaires

Subject: Contextual Inquiry & Questionnaires
From: Holli Kearns <hkearns -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:00:56 -0800

Hello,

My question is somewhat related so I thought I'd tag along.

I'm developing an intial questionnaire to obtain documentation feedback
from our customers. Based on this feedback, I'm then going to be arranging
for customer visits to do a "contextual inquiry".

The basic goal is that we've had reports that people don't use our
documentation. Basically, we're interested in finding out *why* they don't.
Do they not need it? Do they prefer hard copy vs. online help? (we do
both). How do their needs change as they move from novice to expert? Is our
documentation just "bad" (I don't think this is the case, but I'm biased!)

I've already found some excellent books and resources (some from STC), but
I'm also seeking any personal experiences or additional resources.

So, if anyone has gone through this type of exercise before, please share
your tips and wisdom!

Thanks in advance,

Holli Kearns
Technical Writer