Re: QUESTION: contract blues

Subject: Re: QUESTION: contract blues
From: Pepexx <Pepexx -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:25:40 EST

Jacqeline,

I think that John is absolutely right about that. In the contracting
business, I have learned it is best to have several irons in the fire (since
most of them tend fizzle out).

I have been in many situations where everyone has seemed pleased as punch and
reassured me that my contract would be extended. More than once I have found
myself dazed and dissapointed when something "came up" (usually involving
budgets and costs) and I was let go.

If you get your name out there and interview at a few places you will not only
have something to bargain with (if necessary) but you may find an opportunity
that is even better.

Oh yeah, I think it is pretty standard for companies to at least advertise a
job opening before the candidate is hired--however, in most cases, if it is
just a technicality and they do plan on hiring someone they already know, that
is made very clear to the candidate. If they won't even give you a verbal
committment (which, I warn you, still isn't worth much) then I wouldn't expect
to get hired by them.

Good luck!!
Jennifer