Writing Samples, Resumes and Job Applicants

Subject: Writing Samples, Resumes and Job Applicants
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:01:49 -0500

Hi All:

Having just been through the process of searching for a tech writer, I must
say that I rely quite heavily on writing samples to screen potential
candidates. Here's my take on the whole thing:

One of the key abilities I look for in a Tech Writer is someone who can
really write -- you'd be surprised how many samples we get with verb/noun
agreement problems, run-on sentences, and other basic writing problems. In
addition, the samples allow me to judge a person's attention to detail
(where 1-2 mistakes are acceptable but 3-4 aren't). Meeting a person isn't
going to change my mind about his/her writing ability. Liking someone isn't
going to lessen the importance of solid writing skills. If I'm not impressed
or at least OK with the resume and writing samples, I really don't have the
time to waste 1-2 hours on an interview process. If I ask for writing
samples and don't get them, I'd be thinking...hmmm...this person either
doesn't care what I ask (and never will) or forgot to include them (that
attention to detail thing again).

So, we take a hard look at the resume -- if there are any obvious
mistakes(like margins not matching, for instance), we don't bother asking
for writing samples. We then take a hard look at the writing sample(s). Once
again, if there are any obvious mistakes (ones that should be caught by a
quick glance after printing), we don't go any further. If the sample(s)
look good, we invite the person in for an interview. This process may
require a longer lead time to find writers, but doesn't waste more of our
time than necessary.

It may sound harsh, but both the resume and writing samples show how much
time and effort you put into important things, just how important you
thought this particular job could be to you, and how well you catch mistakes
under a tight deadline -- all very important around here.

At my last writing job, I answered a newspaper ad for a writer. The ad
stated that the interviewers wanted writing samples and salary requirements
along with the standard cover letter and resume. I sent off the whole package
of requirements even though I was offended by their demands. I NEEDED a job.
This was during a much slower economy. The company was using all of these
methods to narrow their search. I eventually had one telephone screening,
which lasted about 1/2 hour, and THEN I had one interview with three separate
people - the software designer, the engineering manager, and the sole writer.
I was hired. That was my goal, and I felt that it was my job (at the time)
to fit into the scenario that the company was creating. (No, I would not
jump off a bridge if they had asked me :-)).

Sheila R. Marshall, sheila -at- stk -dot- com
Documentation Lead
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
325 Technology Drive
Malvern, PA 19355