Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY

Subject: Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:05:30 -0600

Roger Peterson wrote:

>If you did not have all the latest computer technology and all that
>wonderful GUI "eye candy" would you still be drawn to technical
>writing. How interesting would it be if you used pencil,
>notepad, and an electric typewriter? Can you separate the
>technology from the task?
>
>Why do I ask? The thought just occurred to me
>sometime after my 10:00 break, and I couldn't let it go. When
>I started into this business, I really did use a notepad, pencil,
>and typewriter for the first year. Found it fascinating!

Gee, Roger, who were you working for?

Even the small company that hired me for my first tech writing job gave me
an IBM PC (with TWO floppy drives!!!) and a copy of WordStar 1.0. That was
in September 1984. Since the the computers are faster and prettier, but the
challenge--telling someone how to use a system--is the same.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax