Re: Looking for Advise...

Subject: Re: Looking for Advise...
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:49:27 -0600

Someone said ...

>> JAVA Java java! It's not going to go away. It's somewhat like C, in
>> that learning one structured language will make it easier for you to
>> understand another. It's in high demand right now.

Java is more like C++ than it is C. There are significant differences
between C and C++; C is a functional programming language while C++ is
object oriented. Don't be fooled; knowing C can only prepare someone for
learning C++.

BTW, I don't recommend Java for tech writers unless the writer has a
hankering to become a programmer. I don't recommend C and C++ for writers
for the same reason. These languages are very powerful and have many
features. They have significant learning curves. Besides, I wouldn't
recommend that anyone without advanced math skills program in either
language.

As always, YMMV. If you want to learn C, C++, or Java, give it a try. But be
warned--HTML they are not.

>> Learning things like Visual Basic is a good idea, but to me VB doesn't
>> really qualify as a full programming language, any more than HTML
>> qualifies as a real programming language.

Ridiculous. Visual Basic is as much a programming language as C and C++ are.
The biggest difference between VB and the C's is that the C's allow you to
manage memory to your liking, where VB does not. The advantages of using VB
over the C's are evident: rapid development cycles and safe code.

'Nuf said. This is off-topic anyway.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com