Re: e-mail??????

Subject: Re: e-mail??????
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:35:44 -0600

> I'll put my two cents in on this one, because it's an issue we've
> questioned recently. The NY Times (not that it's a definitive
> authority) spells it E-mail in keeping with words that predate E-mail,
> such as T-shirt, H-bomb, and A-frame, and capitalizes it when it occurs.
> If you consider it in that context, it makes sense to capitalize and
> hyphenate it, IMHO.

Just for argument's sake, the context is not as clear as the NY Times
would lead you to belive. The T in T-shirt and the A in A-frame are not
abbreviations for anything. But the H in H-bomb and the E in E-mail
(should you choose to spell it that way) stand for a whole word. So
there could still be two separate rules for T-shirt and
E-mail/e-mail/email.

Tracy
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm