Learning to type

Subject: Learning to type
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:38:25 -0600

Frank Taylor asked for a good typing tutor program. Frank,
these differ enough that it's a pretty personal choice
which one fits your learning style best. I taught myself to
touch type using Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (used to be
published by the Software Toolworks). It's got games,
interesting passages to type, and a variety of learning
tools. For me, the two best features were that it analyzes
your common mistakes and picks exercises that make you
focus on those mistakes (and mostly without realizing
you're doing it) and that it keeps bumping up the
difficulty level (enough so that you have to stretch, but
not so much you get frustrated and quit).