New Manager Needs Help!

Subject: New Manager Needs Help!
From: Pandora Zadro <pzadro -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:04:47 PST

Here's my situation. I am a new writer/supervisor for a company
organized into product teams. One of the writers I am supervising is
extremely shy and seems to take offense easily. She has been
outwardly supportive and helpful, although she has seemed impatient
with some of my attempts to get up to speed on the product and the
documents. She has said things like, "technically you are my
supervisor, so I need your signature here," and "I could be the lead
writer, but I don't want to deal with the politics." She has a great
reputation in the company, and others seem to agree that she could
indeed, be doing my job. She is very competent and knowledgeble
about documents and the product. In fact, she was in charge of all
the documentation before I came on board, and she has been very
reluctant to give up ownership, even though she's also helping out
another team. I have been taking on any new documents that are
requested, but the bulk of the documentation is owned by the writer I
supervise. When I delegated a piece of a project I had begun, she took
ownership of the entire project without telling me! Then when I gave the
status of the project to my manager, she contradicted me to him and gave
him the status on her version. I'm trying to be much more clear about
who is responsible for which documents, but I'm afraid there's more
trouble ahead. I'm starting to think that getting promoted was a
mistake! Any advice from more experienced doc managers/leads? Please
reply off-list if this subject isn't completely on-subject.
Pan