TOOLS and TECHNOLOGY

Subject: TOOLS and TECHNOLOGY
From: Rebecca Carr <rebecca -at- WHITE -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:14:56 -0600

If I had to do technical writing with a pencil, paper, and a typewriter,
I wouldn't mind at all. I enjoyed writing that way before the technology
boom. In my first tech writing job, I used a Xerox 860 Word Processor, even
though PCs were out and being used at other companies. One of my co-workers
could not TYPE. He wrote everything on a yellow pad and the
typesetter/formatter entered it all for him.

I wonder if anyone writes in such a primitive environment today? Are there
any holdouts from the bygone days out there?

I do think the technology draws a significant number of people who think
they can write, but really cannot. But, if they don't write well enough,
they can always do desktop publishing, web site design, marketing, or a
number of other creative endeavors.

Becky