Re: New Manager Needs Help!

Subject: Re: New Manager Needs Help!
From: "Gibson, Stephanie" <SGibson -at- QWIZ -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:26:20 -0500

<< I'd have to disagree. As a new manager you have to show that
you are capable of handling any situation
> arises. If you go to your superior at the first sign of
> trouble...well...then...you could compromise your newly appointed
> position of authority. Show your superiors, and your co-worker that
> you can handle this.>>

I totally agree with this statement. This happened to me very
early in my management career. I talked to my manager (a VP), which I
thought was the 'correct' thing to do. He suggested that I talk to her.
Before I had a chance to talk to her, she approached my manager and gave
her side of the story. He called me back in and said it sounded like we
have a personality conflict. From that point on, he seemed resistant to
helping me with any other personnel-related issues. Had I not talked to
him first, and talked to the person in advance of her running to his
office, I would have maintained a level of professionalism that I feel
like I lost in handling the situation the way I did.

Stephanie Gibson
Technical Publications Manager
QWIZ, Inc.
e-mail: sgibson -at- qwiz -dot- com