Re: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...

Subject: Re: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:28:01 -0600

What a new writer needs to have varies from job to job. I've done
writing at four places, and I'd look for a different set of skills in a
new writer in each place. Right now, I'd need someone who's not afraid
of some very technical, cutting edge technology. In previous jobs, that
hasn't been the case.

But by not telling the person anything about what's expected, you
haven't done much in terms of setting that person up for success. The
ultimate success or failure of someone's project is the responsibility
of that person, but if you put in place an environment where that person
has the structure and practices of the group as a framework for working
successfully, that person's going to do better than if you just say go
to it and walk away. Even the successes will be more successful if
there's a framework within which to build.

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Sr. Technical Writer chamilton -at- gr -dot- com
Greenbrier & Russel http://www.gr.com