Re: Project Planning & Contractors/Consultants

Subject: Re: Project Planning & Contractors/Consultants
From: Leslie McKendry-Smith <McKendrySmith -at- MBNET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:01:46 -0600

Anthony Markatos asked,
>Do TW contractors and consultants do project management tasks such as:
>end user analysis, determining project scope, and estimating? Do TW
>contractors and consultants create significant amounts of content?

You bet! Planning is everything!

I develop an information plan and content specifications for all projects,
regardless of the size of the client. I do this as much for myself as for
the client.

My clients hire me because they don't have the skills to do the work
themselves. Providing an information plan takes the "magic" out of the
process. Although some contractors might think that this is a bad thing, I
find that by explaining how I see the project I can show the client that I
understand them, their product, their customers. If I misunderstand
anything, we identify it at the beginning of the project before it becomes
a problem.

The outcome of a detailed content specification is an accurate estimate
(something that all clients appreciate) and a document that practically
writes itself. <rant on>I've never understood the attitude, "We don't have
time to plan." My experience is that when I plan properly, I make few, if
any, changes to the document' outline and content. Planning saves
time!<rant off>

Clients appreciate my attention to detail. It shows them that I'm serious
about producing a quality product and meeting deadlines.

Leslie

Leslie McKendry-Smith mckendry -at- mbnet -dot- mb -dot- ca
Documents OnLine Technical Writing Services
http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/~mckendry/doconlin/