Re: Use of the First Person

Subject: Re: Use of the First Person
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:39:53 -0500

Virginia Day <Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM> wrote:

>The standards organization sounds as though it uses academic >style standards, not business or technical writing standards. >However, they will claim that academic scientific writing is >the same as technical writing--it's not! Academicians prefer >third person, passive, nominal, complex-compound writing.

Even in academia, this standard is being challenged (or it was two years
ago when I was an academic).

But maybe the point is - uh, academic.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Spider spins its heart out, fox goes home alone,
Wisdom is a snake waiting underneath a stone,
Refuge is in silence or in any stony place,
I will not share your pity, your laws, or your disgrace."
--Oyster Band