Re: Use of the First Person

Subject: Re: Use of the First Person
From: Annalee Foster <scripta -at- GJ -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 18:48:46 -0700

Jane Bergen wrote:

FWIW, I think we (there I go) technical writers are often too paranoid
about using the passive. Most grammar/composition texts allow it when
you want to diminish the impact of the actor.

I'll go along with that.  Sometimes you can really complicate an issue by trying to force an active voice. The passive voice also helps to soften what the reader may view as an unpleasant message.  Depending on the audience and the purpose of the document, the passive voice can be our friend...

Annalee