Re: QUESTION: Proper Use of Adjectives

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Proper Use of Adjectives
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:56:32 -0600

The correct usage is, "I ate a healthful meal." Healthful means
beneficial to health of body or mind. Healthy means enjoying health
and vigor of body, mind, or spirit. Therefore, a meal can't be
healthy because it can't enjoy anything. Of course, almost everyone
uses the term incorrectly.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Senior Technical Writer
Argonne National Laboratory (near Chicago)

Subject: QUESTION: Proper Use of Adjectives
Author: <KDFisher -at- AOL -dot- COM> at ipdlink
Date: 2/2/98 1:06 PM

I was wondering if someone can straighten me out on this one. I'm confused
about the use of the following. Is it correct to say:

"I ate a healthy meal."

-OR-

"I ate a healthful meal."

And what is the rationale? Thanks in advance.

Kathy Fisher
http://members.aol.com/KDFisher/kdfisher.html