Re: How much to charge?

Subject: Re: How much to charge?
From: Jean Weber <jean_weber -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:51:39 -0500

An interesting assumption in Keith Arnett's discussion of how to determine
what to charge:

>c. Determine how many billable hours you think you can work in one week
and multiply by 50.<

The assumption is that you think you can (and want to!!) work 50 weeks out
of the year. Did I miss an allowance for sick days, or is that factored
into the 30 hr/wk, along with public holidays, time off for self-education,
and other non-billable hours spent on your business?

But more importantly, ask yourself, do you really WANT to work 50 weeks a
year? One of the benefits of freelancing/contracting is having the option
of longer vacations. I suggest you consider calculating your billable hours
on the basis of 48 weeks a year or less.

Jean