Re: FWD: Problems with Hiring, Equity

Subject: Re: FWD: Problems with Hiring, Equity
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:01:43 -0700

I was really angry when my boss (20+ years ago) paid a much higher salary to a
co-worker who was less qualified. He openly said that the person needed more
money because he was male and head of a household. I'm glad I haven't run into
that attitude in decades, but I did learn something from it.

Get over it. Until you do, you won't deal with it effectively. Focus on the
value of the job you're doing and your own skill in doing it. Personal
comparisons just make one person or the other unhappy. They also make managers
defensive rather than cooperative.

I've found it much more effective (both for raises and for happiness) to present
my skills and accomplishments. Then, I identify and request the market value of
those skills. I also find it helpful to remember the parable of the vineyard
owner who paid workers the same daily wage regardless whether they started at
daybreak or noon. When those who started at daybreak accused him of being unfair
he asked: Were you paid a fair wage?

It's a guideline both sides of the table should be able to respect.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov