FWD: Problems with Hiring, Equity

Subject: FWD: Problems with Hiring, Equity
From: Lorraine Kiewiet <lorraine -at- EZ-DATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:20:20 -0700

"manager knew someone at another company (3 years experience)"

There is the key to the situation. The newbie is related to someone in the
company. Be careful not to offend.

Pray for peace of mind. So many companies do this that it doesn't make much
sense to pray for a job where this won't happen. Pray for the grace to
accept the newbie and mentor the newbie to be equal to the salary already
bestowed. Successful mentoring is something you can bring to the table next
time.

Jill said it best:
<<I also find it helpful to remember the parable of the vineyard owner who
paid workers the same daily wage regardless whether they started at
daybreak or noon. When those who started at daybreak accused him of being
unfair he asked: Were you paid a fair wage?
Jill Burgchardt>>

and Nancy Hickman was right, too:
<<Maybe it's a good time to assess. Are you
trusted and esteemed where you are? This is equity that you would have
to build up if you moved. You have some bargaining power in the fact
that hiring and training someone else to do your job will cost the
company. After all, they know now that they have to pay more than
expected! Do you have a good environment, cool people, and interesting
work? God bless you if you don't have a heinous environment!>>

I was unhappy about not getting something that was promised to me (my own
office) and went in search of another job. I got an offer for $5,000 per
month (a 20% increase). Then I had to decide what to do. Well, the new job
did not offer a private office either. In fact, the person who interviewed
me sat in a very public area and had trouble finding a place to conduct our
interview. My #1 priority is my family, and I value my 4-mile commute. I
could walk to my son's school from my office if something happened. The new
company was about to move, but would not commit on paper (I asked them to
put the name of the city they told my they "wanted to relocate to" in the
offer letter). So the bottom line was, what is money anyway? Oh, and did I
take the offer to my management? No, because you have to be willing to
leave. THAT was a really hard decision (whether or not to show them the
offer letter) because another former employee (who got a higher paying job)
said that he thought I was among the 10% of the people they would actually
negotiate with, as they did him. Ah well....

Good luck to Anon. and to us all,
--Lorraine