Re: TW Process Maturity

Subject: Re: TW Process Maturity
From: Michael Pallarino <mpallari -at- MAILBOX -dot- SYR -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:25:08 -0500

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Anthony Markatos wrote:

> Questions to all TWs:
>
> 1.) Is the process maturity level of technical writing jobs regional?
> I have worked both on the west coast (Los Angeles and San Diego) and in
> the mid west (Cleveland). I experienced significantly more emphasis on
> project management (i.e., a higher level of process maturity) on the
> west coast - especially in the area of end user task analysis.
>
> 2.) I have heard that technical writers have higher status on the two
> coasts than anywhere in between. Do you agree/disagree?
>
> Anthony Markatos

Subject: Regional Differences of the Process Maturity Level of Technical
Writing

I have found that the process maturity level of technical writing is not
necessarily regional but is at a higher level where ever there is a
strong technical writing department. I was an intern for a small
corporation in New Hampshire and worked in their Marketing/Communications
department. There was a strong process maturity level in developing
technical papers.

I have also heard that technical writers have higher status on the two
coasts than anywhere else also. This is probably because these two
regions are the two major media markets of the US. There is probably more
exposure of these areas such as New York or Los Angelos, etc. Technical
writing is most likely just as important in other areas of the US besides
the coasts.