SUMMARY: Website design costs

Subject: SUMMARY: Website design costs
From: Arend Smit <smit -at- MXI -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:02:07 +0100

Hi all,

two replies to the list, I received two responses off-list,
which I quote here:

From: Carol Van Natta, CVANNATT -at- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV

... Several things will affect the
cost: programming (CGI, Java, etc.), maintenance (and how
often?), the source and quantity of graphics required, the
review/approval process (who, what, when, where), and how
fast you want it. For a 6-10 page site that doesn't have
anything more complicated than a mail-to form and one or
two scanned graphics in amongst a host of generic ones,
plus content that only needs editing (not writing from
scratch), I'd say anywhere between $600 and $1,000,
depending on where you are and what the market will bear.

From: Faun deHenry, faun -at- sancity -dot- com

Web site design and development costs vary from project to project.

San City has worked on contracts that were fixed fee as well as those
based upon time and
materials. It really depends upon what the client wants--simple design
only, site
redesign, complete web presence, project management, maintenance, etc.

We've been involved with sites that cost $2,500 and others that cost
$50,000.

Issues that affected site development expenses were

site purpose
amount of content
level of interactivity
placement on the spectrum of information versus presentation

And, of course, the costs are equally affected by the client's clarity
(or lack thereof)
regarding each of these issues!

In other words, as I already suspected, your mileage may vary.

Thanks to all who replied!

Arend