Re: Down Time

Subject: Re: Down Time
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:54:06 -0500

Vic,

There are lots of things you can do. First of all, I would sit down and
do some planning. Make lists of every task you will need to do for the
project. Start out by outlining. Figure out which ones can be done
early. Try to identify problems, which is what you're attempting, that's
great.

Here are some ideas:

- Identify which software package you will use to edit images.

- Build and test prototypes for your help screens.

- If you have an idea of how the software will work, start working on
how you will structure your help files.

- Talk to the programmers or read the program specs to learn what you
can about the software.

- If you will be outsourcing anything (translation, localization), start
researching potential vendors.

- Work towards establishing a good review cycle with subject matter
experts. From the sounds of things, you won't have time to do this after
the project starts.

- Set milestones for yourself to help you measure your progress.

- Remember, the better you can plan, the more efficient you will be when
crunch time comes.

Hope this helps,

Tom

--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
My opinions are still my own.