Re: Documenting from Program Specs

Subject: Re: Documenting from Program Specs
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:27:46 -0600

It's the way we tend to work here, and I like it. It gives me
a chance to ask questions and make suggestions at a point
where the product can still be modified. Often the writer has
a better end-user perspective than the people doing the
actual design and coding. I think the parallel development
approach makes the writer a more integral part of the development
team.

As for problems, I've found that toward the end of the project,
developers may make changes that aren't in the specs or
that don't get into the specs until later. Usually the result of
last-minute new requirements ("ohmigod Sales has been
telling customers that our product can be used underwater!
Can we make it do that? By Thursday?") They may not
remember to tell you about it right away. It hasn't been a
huge problem for me -- you just have to keep your eyes and
ears open. Don't be afraid to insert yourself into conversations
and ask questions.

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com