Re: .art file format

Subject: Re: .art file format
From: "Randolph, Elaine F" <Elaine -dot- Randolph -at- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:57:08 -0700

I'm posting this for a friend who isn't on the list but does know the
answer:

Heather Garonzik [SMTP:HGaronzik -at- MICRON -dot- COM] wrote on February 05, 1998:

> Is anyone familiar with a .art file format? If so, what software is
> used to create it? We recently received a file in this format and
> have been unable to open it.

I work for America Online, and WE are developing the ART file format.
It is
not a document file. Rather, it is a compressed multimedia file format.
It
uses streaming technology to display images, play sounds, etc. over
narrowband
communication lines. Currently, the format is AOL proprietary, but we
are
fighting for management to release it to the Web. It might yet happen.
There
are browser plugins ready to go.

My recommendation to open the file you received (from where, I'd like to
know)
is to open it in the AOL client, version 3.0 or higher. AOL should be
able to
open and read the file with no difficulty. If you still have questions
(or
would like to send me the file), feel free to contact me at
mhbloom -at- aol -dot- com -dot-
If I get pounded with e-mail, I will still try to reply to each one, but
not
quickly.

One more thing: I work for an R&D group in AOL, not for customer support
or
product marketing. I am a Technical Writer/Manager.
-Mark Bloom