Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communication
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:46:29 -0600

It depends on your situation.

In a company where Windows is the dominant system, VB is a very good
language. It's easy to learn and use on a casual basis. You can do
worthwhile things with just a few lines of rather simple code.

JavaScript (which is very different from Java) is also good as a casual
language. The great thing with JavaScript, if you are already using
HTML, is that you can ease into it. You don't have to start with a
significant program. There are shortcomings of HTML that a line or two
of very simple JavaScript cures.

Not to be terribly self-promotional (who am I kidding?) but I'm going to
be talking about programming skills for communicators at the STC
conference in Anaheim. I'm on the panel titled "Information Development
at Rockwell Software-Part 2."

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com