Re: CBT Tools

Subject: Re: CBT Tools
From: Scott Gray <scotty -at- CM -dot- MATH -dot- UIUC -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:29:22 -0600

> Scott Wrote:
>
> >There is almost nothing that can't be done using:
> >-HTML
> >-JavaScript
> >-CGI
>
> Doesn't the purpose of the document and the customer drive the document's
> production? Yes HTML, CGI and Javascript can do a lot, but that doesn't mean
> they are the appropriate tools for the job.

Yes. I am speaking of documents which actually try to teach someone a
SKILL. Yes you are right about having the appropriate tools to do so.

> >I have yet to see a CBT type program written in something like MacroMedia
> Director that is pedogogically sound for teaching SKILLS.
>

> hmmm, the basic skills I learned that relate to writing and that directly
> affect my writing (researching, design and layout, editing, writing,
> proofreading) are not computer related in the least. I consider the programs
> I use as tools to help me achieve the end result. Part of my job as a
> technical writer is to know what tools are best to complete the job at hand.
> Sometimes I have no control over what tools I have to use.

You are not actually disagreeing with me. I agree. "Learning by doing"
is the key.

What most CBT written in Macromedia do is "Lecture". This is a very
inferior way to learn a skill.

Scott