Re: Producing books

Subject: Re: Producing books
From: "Wilcox, John (WWC, Contractor)" <wilcoxj -at- WDNI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:09:00 -0800

----------
From: Jill Burgchardt

When a company is paying a contractor by the hour, they may see an
immediate
value in providing the slickest, highest-productivity tools. One way or
the
other they'll spend the money, tools or hours billed. (Or, they'll try
keep both costs down by finding a contractor who already knows and owns
the
tool.)

When a company has a captive full-time employee getting the job done
with a
not-quite-the-best tool, the incentive changes. The employee is paid for
their regular work week at a high or low productivity rate. It becomes a
tangible factor when the employee can no longer do the job in the time
allowed. Then, the company will evaluate whether they need a second
employee
or can increase the existing employee's productivity by changing tools.
.
.
.
Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov
-----------------

You're too logical to work for the government. :o)

I am a contractor, but I have no say as to the tool used. I must use
Word, even though I would no doubt produce docs more efficiently using
some other tool. The keyword where I work is standardization.
If I leave, an employee may well have to maintain my docs.
All employees here use Word.
Therefore, I use Word.
Even though the short-term cost is greater, the long-term benefit of
standardization is achieved.

(At the same time, they talk a lot about empowerment. Go figure.)