Re: Scrollable list or keyword search?

Subject: Re: Scrollable list or keyword search?
From: Jo Oehrlein <COehrlein -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:27:34 EST

>>I believe that Jared Spool's report titled "Web Site Usability: A Designer's
>>Guide" showed that users tasked with locating information at certain web
>>sites fared worse when face with a keyword search mechanism than if they
>>simply browsed the site.

>>I vote for the scrollable list as long as the entries are meaningful to the
>>audience.

The concerns I would have about a scrollable list containing hundreds" of
listings are
1. How long will the database take to populate the list?
2. Will the user be able to start typing the choice he/she wants to quickly go
to a spot in the list. Otherwise, scrolling through hundreds of items is a
chore.

>>Regards...Kris
>>kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
>>kris -at- olberg -dot- com