clarification--Managing writers in other cities

Subject: clarification--Managing writers in other cities
From: Colleen Adams <PD33 -at- MEDISPAN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:29:38 -0500

Clarification: I should have titled this e-mail "Managing
DOCUMENTATION in other cities." I'm looking for overall
suggestions, not just those relating to managing the people.

My company has recently merged with our biggest competitor. As a
result, a decision was made to "centralize" all external product
documentation at my site in Indianapolis (which from my perspective is
good!); however, there are two other tech communicators in two other
locations (San Francisco & Portland). And at this time, there is no plan to
move anyone; we will all be working remotely.

It's my responsibility to create a plan as to best way to manage/handle
these two positions and the workflow. The one office handles all
software design/documentation. The other handles all the database (flat
file) design/documentation.

Has anyone else out there managed people and teams that were across
the country? What have been your experiences?

I'd appreciate ANY help!! It's a positive problem to have, so I'm not
complaining...just need a little advice.

Colleen Adams
External Documentation Supervisor
Medi-Span, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN