FWD: Telecommuting Query

Subject: FWD: Telecommuting Query
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:57:16 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

What is the relationship between the worker's compensation insurance a
company pays and how it relates to that company's telecommuters? Our
manager was approached some time ago about letting us telecommute.
Their response was that the company couldn't allow telecommuting
because the telecommuter would NOT be covered by worker's compensation
insurance if they were injured at home while working for the company.

About half of the people in our department are expecting to relocate
to new offices, of which there may not be enough to accommodate all
the people. So, I would like to present the telecommuting alternative
to our manager again and be able to counter the old reason for not
allowing telecommuting if it's just a bunch of hog wash.

I searched the archives and found some very good information about
telecommuting (129 messages total). I didn't read them all, however.
I also found five messages about worker's compensation insurance for
contractors, not full-time employees.